Wednesday, November 6, 2019

New Home and the Stearman

I finally got the call that a hangar spot was open nearby.  So I have made the jump from EQY to LKR!

The plane is doing great in her new home and my neighbor just happens to own a really beautiful Stearman and offered to take me around and let me trying flying it.

What a wonderful day and what a great welcome to the neighborhood!

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Return to Triple Tree

Turned out to be a very beautiful labor day after some early morning clouds, but as the afternoon rolled around the clouds started to rise and we decided to make the quick hop down to Triple Tree to visit for the day.

A quick 45 minute flight from EQY to SC00 for the afternoon walking around the Triple Tree Grounds.

And was able to get some video of the departure from the 7000 foot grass runway!

Saturday, July 13, 2019

New Windows

So the storm that blew through the Charlotte area in mid June damaged the window so we decided to go ahead and replace both front windows. 

It's a pretty simple install on a 140, just need to remove the lower window trip bar and the strip between the two windows. 

We had always assumed that the fabric on the top of the dash had been light brown, but what we discovered after removing the trim was that the original un-faded color was black.  So we decided to go ahead and redye the fabric back black while the windows were out.

What a huge difference it makes, and again returns the plane closer to what it looked like originally.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Trip to the Beach

Finally was able to take my first day long XC in the Cherokee, nice little trip to Myrtle Beach for lunch with friends.

This trip has been a very long time coming and I feel like I am finally overcoming my anxiety of flying again.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

ADSB-Out Installed!

For you guys on the fence with the ADSB-out solution I figured I would do a quick update on the install.

It really isn't marketing fluff when they say you can install it in 15 minutes. We took the wing tip off to place knife connectors on the wire ends. On mine I do not have a strobe so no need for the yellow wire, simply connect the "hot" wire to the red wire and the black to ground and viola.

Reinstalled the wing tip and powered the unit on. You connect to a little WIFI network to configure it. Once you connect to the WIFI network on your phone you use their app to set the variables for the unit. You set your tail number and that's pretty much it.

One little issue however, part of the setup is to set your transponder to something like 1234 and see if the unit picks that up in the status section of the app. However at our field we do not get radar coverage so your transponder won't "ping" a code since it couldn't hit the radar. In my case that means I'll need to fly around high enough for the Charlotte radar to cause my transponder to broadcast (basically when the little green light flashes) (Before ya'll ask the transponder was re-certified last week)

Because of that my initial flight failed the FAA Test, but it did pick up everything else about the flight, I think next time I'll just need to make sure I'm a little higher than the pattern and fly a little farther out.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Post Annual Flight and new camera

So finally got some time to take the plane up after the annual.  The annual took almost 2 months due to backlog at the shop.  Luckily no issues were found and everything that was needed was just the minor (normal stuff) that's needed every year.

I was also playing around with a new camera mount.  My VIRB camera mount broke a few years ago and I've just never bothered to get a new one.  I thought it would be fun to try one of those external goPRO mounts as the goPRO i have is several years old and I wasn't too concerned if it fell off or not.

Anyways, I took the plane up for a few touch and gos and a quick trip in formation to another local airport for some more touch and gos.

All in all a good little 2 days of punching holes in the sky, and some good pictures from it.

Friday, February 1, 2019

First post of the year

Sorry for the long delay between posts but it's been so busy here...  Finally got the Cherokee up for her first flight of the New Year and we redid all of the baffles under the engine cowling.

Replaced all the plugs and repainted all of the engine "boxes" under the cowling.

Also new wing walk!